Margaret’s role in the team is to:
- co-ordinate the effective implementation of the Connexional and District Safeguarding policies, and the recommendations of The Church and Sex Offender’s report to the Methodist Conference 2000.
- advise on the formation of local Church and Circuit safeguarding policies, and arrangements for sex offenders attending local Churches. ·
The main tasks of the role include:
- seeing that the District Safeguarding policy is implemented.
- convening meetings and supporting the Independent Chair in the work of the District Safeguarding Advisory Group.
- co-ordinating training in Safeguarding with the District Safeguarding Advisor’s Group, the Training and Development Officer, the District Children’s Secretary and the District Youth and Community Secretary.
Margaret is expected to support those involved in implementing the Safeguarding policy in Churches throughout the district, and to be the first point of contact for advice or queries about child protection issues.
In order to improve safeguarding across the district, Margaret has set up a Circuit Safeguarding Advisors’ forum at which current safeguarding information is shared and discussed. Members are encouraged to share this information within their respective circuits.
The newly established district website has afforded the opportunity for safeguarding information to be placed on the safeguarding section so that it is readily available to all within the district. Information so far includes information concerning social media guidance. Further information will become available as this section of the district website is developed.